Saturday, August 2, 2008

Matthew's closing remarks

On July 10th 2008 Eric Brewer and Matthew Case made history by being the first people to ever ride bicycles across the United States of America. I really can't believe we were the first! EVER! (well maybe the first to do it on the type of bike we rode on, being both from N.C., that are latter day saints).
The last few days of the trip where days to be remembered, it felt great to cross the border into North Carolina, it finally felt like we where home, and we felt the end near, but it didn't sadden us, nor where we excited to be done, it was the perfect amount of time. The ride through the Appalachian Mountains in NC was beautiful, despite a little rain we were happy and it was great to have another member of the team with us. Scott (Erics dad) joined us for the NC leg of the trip and kept up well, i was very impressed with his performance and attitude, though he had only been riding a few 30 mile rides a week to train he didn't break on our 70 miles or more days that went until the end of the bike trip. The humidity became thick and we sweat and stank like we had not sweat or stank the entire journey! We hit a pretty bad rain storm the two nights before finishing, it was very violent and because of a series of unfortunate events we were all separated, I spent a little more than an hour under a overpass like some sort of nocturnal animal waiting for night to come. It was a good time to think and reflect on the journey we had embarked upon that would soon be coming to a close.
We were met by a friend that night Gunther Topp who was to join us for the last few days of the trip, he had a truck and was a blessing, because he picked us all up and we sought dry shelter at a motel.

We camped the night before the last day in Lake Waccamaw it was a humid night, but we awoke and after a great breakfast we rode the last 60 miles to Carolina beach. It was a great ride and the biking gods were with us once again preventing the normal strong head wind. We rode hard and then finished with joy and sorrow surrounded by our loved ones. Then a strange thing happened, Eric and I for the first time in over two months were separated, I needed to get back to Greensboro while Eric and his family stayed to enjoy the beach for a while.
After all was said and done I wasn’t tired after our long journey, actually quite the contrary I felt great, I was in super great shape and I was constantly well hydrated, I had plenty of sleep, I had nothing to complain about.

Overall our bike trip was one of the most rewarding experiences of my entire life. I was honored and delighted to have shared to experience with my lifelong best friend Eric, I friendship withstood a potentially grueling test and we came out victorious. I have a deeper love and appreciation for this Great vast and beautiful country we live in, not only for the landscape, but the history and especially the people. We mentioned it countless times but the wonderful people are the highlight of the journey. I Learned of God’s love for me individually as we were cared for and protected from start to finish. I learned so much, and not just things about biking and exercise, it was a very enriching experience and I could go on and on about that fact, but I will leave that to future conversations with the individuals who are reading this.
I encourage all to follow their dreams, to achieve things in their lives that they feel are slightly out of their reach, do things that will enrich you and make you smarter, find ways of living your dreams and do it! Don’t let anyone, including yourself, stop you! I hope my existence will continue to be filled with the achievement of inspiring goals.

3 comments:

Jenna said...

Your trip was very inspiring to me. A few years ago my husband was working in Seattle for most of the summer & I decided to buy a van & drive out to visit him & our friends & family along the way. I had such a feeling of accomplishment. I cannot in a million years imagine doing what you have done on bike - but I loved the perspective of seeing the great people & scenery of the United States. Congratulations on following your dreams!

Em said...

Congratulations Matthew and Eric! You two are incredible!

andrea said...

Woo hoo! Major props to you guys. I loved watching your journey progress. I, too, took a cross country road trip...only mine was powered by gas and not my own muscles. Loved the landscape, but missed out on all the neat interactions you guys had with the people. Thanks for sharing your experiences! You guys rock!