Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Almost....done?

We need to get on the road, so i will make this overview of the past week shorter than this past week really deserves. Eric and I are becoming shocked that the bike trip is nearing an end, but much like our missions for the Church it doesn't really feel like the end, because we will still do the same thing all day every day until we set foot in the cool water of the Atlantic Ocean. Its not over till its over, and then even when this adventure ends we have begun the pattern to live life in a legendary way and i hope the passion to live life continues.
Ill try to just explain the photos, they are in a terrible order, I don't believe the emotional impact will be maximized by their order, but oh well. We met an amazing Amish family in eastern Illinois, Ronny the father invited us to eat at his house and stay the night and despite our lack of progress for that day we agreed knowing that it would be a great experience, we learned so much and had wonderful discussions with Ronnie and his family, and will never forget their generosity and hospitality. We entered the God blessed state of Indiana last week and they even customized their state sign for me (as seen in the photo)!! I guess we are getting pretty famous! We had a DELIGHTSOME time in Columbus with old family friends, holding babies at the family reunion we happened to stumble upon and eating till we were full (only about the 3rd time that has happened this whole trip, full is hardly a word used in our vocabulary). It was a great time, i got to see my boyhood home and Eric was a great sport through everything, which i greatly appreciate because it meant a lot to me to be back in my home town, take it the atmosphere there and catch up with people i barely remembered but treated me like family. I got in a wreck the other day, despite the road burn on my arm, a flat tire, and a close call with a semi, it wasn't half bad, we actually got to play 'rock band' with a nice young man that picked us up and took us home after seeing me wreck, I'm not a huge fan of video games, but Eric and i had fun and did ok, we love the nice people we meet! We have been blessed, I think i should have gotten enough injury to end the bike trip in that wreck, we were going down hill at about 25mph, I really didn't get hurt, nor did my bike, thank you everyone for your prayers. This country is so diverse and beautiful! Though the further east we have gotten has provided us with more traffic and small shoulders we enjoy the scenery and still meet tons of great people.
We are now in Kentucky and will be in Tennessee by the time we post again, Keep us in your prayers now more than ever because as i mentioned we are experiencing more traffic than any other part of our trip. Thank you again for your prayers, they have most likely saved our lives a number of times.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eric, I talked to your mom today. I called to ask about the Byu station, now that I have internet access. Anyway She said you guys were trying to get to Carolina beach by July 10, so you could get to David's reception by the 11th. I wish you the best on that one. I have a few friends in the Wilmington area that I've been calling to try to help your mom with some lodging info. It IS the busy season. Hopefully we'll find something. We love you guys and can't wait to see you home safe and hear about all of your adventures. I hope to see you at David's reception!

Anonymous said...

Dear Matthew,
You and Eric amaze me!! Even though i have only met Eric once Grandma & Grandpa have told me so much and i have read your blog, the stories you have are miracles. Most of my summer has been watching tv but, you have inspired me. someday i hope to be living the dream on a bike also! Or do something amazing like you guys have. haha
your in my prayrs,
Mickenzie
P.S.
my mom, grandma, and grandpa send their love and support. Good Luck! :]

chaela said...

this is amazing, you are amazing, the world is amazing, and life deserves to be lived in a legendary fashion.

Love you
chae

lori said...

hey matthew-
sunday at church sis. shield was asking about you so i wrote the blog site down for her. Hope she finds it ok. Thaat Indiana sign is soooooooo cool. You guys are awesomely amazing...
love,
lori